Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:29:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 2nd Club Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PN tires  (Read 4380 times)
Adams
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Topic Start: April 14, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »

I'm wondering about the grip of the PN tires.
I see there are three types: type-x, radial, and slicks.

Which has the most grip in the same degree?
I'm guessing this

Type-x 6 (most grip, fastest wear)
Radial 6 (a little less grip, wears a little longer)
Slicks 6 (a little less grip then radials, or the same as type-x's and radials with tread worn off)

With my 430 I was running, front 20 slicks with +1 offset, rear 6 radials with 0 offset. If I let my rear tires wear past the tread I had horrible rear grip. So I was going through tires pretty fast. About a set every Thursday night.
Then I changed to the 575 with same tires but +2 f/r. I had way too much rear grip. So I'm thinking of trying the slick 6's for the rear.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: April 14, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »

I go through about 3 sets of rear tires for every set of front.   this is where it's up to you as for what you want to do.   my best setup would be with both new fronts and backs, but I can't afford to change them and always run new tires,  so it's a compromise.   Also the faster you take the corners the faster your tires with wear both front and back.  I can deal with the little push I end up with as the fronts go away, but when it get to bad,  I'll change them.  

what you have describes is pretty close for the tires rating.   I'd say the radials and X-pattern are about the same in grip, and wear.   the slicks will be the same as the others worn down. ( or pretty close).

if you have to much rear grip,  you might want to go with the 8's in the rear.  they are a little harder and would wear longer.   the setup depends a lot on your driving, setup and body.  Each body will handle different.    Also the 575 is a 98mm wheel base so take that into account as well.

Adams
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Reply #2: April 14, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »

I think having the 0 offset rear wheels gave me too much steering. I have gone through about 8 sets of rears and the fronts are still going strong. Next time ill try some worn down radials that i have and see how that feels. I think they will be perfect. If not then ill try out the 8's. I could also add the reflex lexan wing.  Haha

Im pretty sure im at 94mm with my 575, Cause I didnt change anything from my 430

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #3: April 14, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »

Considering all rear tires you mentioned above are new and scrubbed in I think the raidals are grippiest followed by the X patterns, then the slicks.

I have been messing around alot with tires trying to go the hardest ones I can and still have good balance. Like Brian said all the bodies act different on the cars. I was having a hard time getting rear grip with the 360 GTC body so I went back to my Muci body and the grip was there. In fact I went up to 10's in the rear with 20x's in the front and I like it. My thinking was harder tires last longer and save money, also the car stays about the same feel for longer.

The 575 is a 98 mm body so you should check and make sure you are not rubbing. That body was different looking than my 575 so maybe its shorter or something. We'll check it out next time and see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ