Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:28:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 2nd Club Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help a rookie?  (Read 3877 times)
visionx

View Gallery

« Topic Start: April 07, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

I have not formally introduced myself, so I will start there.

My name is Timathy. Tim is fine Smiley I have had a deep love for RC for a very long time since I grew up around my Uncle who was a complete RC nut. He even owned an indoor dirt track at one time. I used to love the rare occasions I got to play with his RC10 gold pan, Frog and Hornets. (those where the ones I was allowed to play with :O). Anyways. I have not had the means or the time to get into it myself until here recently.

I have a Leo x I had purchased a long time ago. It has bearing set and a hop up motor of some type. They where out of fireballs at the time. That truck has been broken for a couple years now. I hope to be getting a rx unit off of Russ here soon Smiley .

I also Own a Redcat Sumo Truggy which is my sons. It has the 180 motor as well as bearings and steel universal drives. Its a pretty fun little beast.

Now comes the problem... I also own an Xmods street/evo with a PN 50t motor, AWD, bearings and the list goes on... I know, I know, Should have bought a miniz... But I didn't and here I am lol. To make a long story short My board got messed up and I ordered a new one. The board I recieved after hooking it up will only turn 1 way and not even center. I tried replacing the steering fets with the ones from my old board. Which did steer perfect. Still the same. Does anyone have any idea of what I could try? I am at wits end with this car. I do not have the money or I would just do the miniz conversion.

Any help at all would be great. Thanks
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: April 08, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »

Russ knows more about the Xmods than the rest of us,  I'm sure he'll chime in pretty soon.   

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #2: April 08, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

Its been a long time since I messed with my Xmods boards but I will throw out some ideas.

The first thing I would do is make sure that the steering is centered mechanically before installing the rest. Remove the servo horn, power up the board and check if the servo will center and turn both directions. The transmitter should always self center each time its turned on but you may want to see if changing its trim affects the steering. If it will only turn one way its possible the servo is bad. If it turns both ways equally then re-install the horn so its centered. This is also helpful when you do get it running so that when you turn on the transmitter each time you dont have to re-center the trim as much.

You might find some helfpul tips on these websites and forums.

Atomic Mods

Mini-ZRacer

Tiny RC

There may also be others that a nice Google search could reveal. Most of the information you will find will be old but hopefully you can get it sorted out with what you find.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:44:33 AM by Russ » Logged
visionx

View Gallery

« Reply #3: April 08, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »

Thanks guys. I have google to my wits end. What do you mean by servo horn? These have the 5 wire pot/motor setup like a miniz. I have come up with a few things to try like replacing the wires to my pot. No it will not center , only turns one way. I know the motor is good because if i switch it from right to left handed it will reverse the motor. Only thing i can figure is bad wires or pot itself... Thanks for the input though. any ideas are welcome at this point.
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #4: April 08, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »

Could be a bad pot. The Gen1 has a servo with a horn. I've never taken apart an EVO. If it has a similar set up to a Mini-Z maybe it has an adjustment pot to center the servo motor. Not sure what else to suggest. Maybe you have a bad radio, have you checked it?

There are some articles on EVO mods here that might help. KB Results
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]