Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:42:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 2nd Club Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spektrum 2.4GHz for Mini Z  (Read 21144 times)
Frac

View Gallery

« Topic Start: February 12, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »

It would be really nice to be able to use a Spektrum radio.  Has anyone done this before using a Spektrum or Losi micro receiver? Here is a link http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/mrx-3100-esc-dsm-mcrc-LOSB0831#q1
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: February 13, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »

there are a few options  to use 2.4,  most of us are running it.   the Mini-z uses a proprietary  2.4 ASF system.  you can get a car that comes with them pre installed or you can get the upgrade boards for them.    the problem with going with the ones that aren't made for the min-z is that they don't have the servo integrated into the board and there is not an easy way to make them fit.

the best solution is to stick with the ASF boards and get a radio that is module based and can use the 2.4 mini-z module.

CrazyFastFord
Registered Member

View Gallery

« Reply #2: August 14, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »

So is there any way to use Spektrum radio and be allowed to run HFAY?

The reason I ask is I am in New Mexico and there are no MiniZ racing in the state.  I have four Spektrum DX3Rs and a bunch of Losi cars and Spektrum Receivers.  I found the HFAY site and it looked awesome so I bought an RCP track and a MR-02 which I converted to Spektrum using a Micro Crawler ESC (MRX-3100), seems to work well.  Anyway I saw in the rules that HFAY allows any Radio, I thought Kool.  But what I can't find is a Kyosho ESC, which I think HFAY requires.  The MRC-3100 has an ESC built in.  I hope there is still away we can join the fun without buying all new radios for the group?

Thank you for your repine is advance.

CrasyFast or CrazyBummed
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #3: August 15, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »

We haven't allowed any cars that have upgraged ESC in them, but it don't mean the car is not legal. Could you possibly get some pictures to post so I can see what you have done?    it's really not about the radio but rather the ESC in the cars.    it really might not be an issue as long as you are running the correct 70T motor.   we have basically gone to the motor as the limiting factor.

What ESC and receiver are you using?

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #4: August 15, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »

Also how are you getting the servo to work?
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #5: August 15, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »

Also how are you getting the servo to work?

I can see you jumping on this if you can find out how to do it..   LOL

BenGLI

View Gallery

« Reply #6: August 15, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »

I am also interested in this. I could do this for my AWD so I have a radio for it
CrazyFastFord
Registered Member

View Gallery

« Reply #7: August 15, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »

Thank you for the consideration.

I used the MRC-3100 which is in the link at the top of the post.  I have looked for the specs on the ESC and can’t seem to find them.  The Horizon website just says “Spec”.    The Fets on the boarder have two numbers on them 450264 and 919094 if that means anything to anyone.
The rules indicate “Mini-Z Kyosho ESC only. This includes the new 2.4ghz and the AD Band ESCs. FET modifications and capacitors are allowed.”  Which I understand you need to draw the line somewhere, but considering that FET and Capacitors modifications are allowed it seems that the ESC are already beaning modified.  That’s just my two cents.

As I had mentioned before we have been racing the Losi Micro SCTs as well as other Losi products.  I had a Micro Crawler lying an around with a glitch is the servo so I figured I would try what was suggested in the first post.  I did this as an experiment and set it up such that it would be an unplug and plug back into the Crawler if it didn’t work out.  Originally I had mounted the MRX-3100 in the plastic on top of the car.  To get the body on I had to take the plastic off and sticky tape it to the top of the chasse.  If this is approved I will pick up some more cars and do a write up on how to do full conversion.  I will also clean up the wiring and make it more permanent and look right.  So please forgive the mess.

Attached are a couple of pictures.  First picture is the MiniZ with everything installed and the Crawler that donated the brains.  Second is the a closer look at the  MiniZ.  The last two are pictures of the servo installation.  I also had a couple of servos lying around I have conduct airplane durability test on; OK it might have just been a crash, which had damaged gears.  I took them a part and stole the control board out of them.  I used the one that had a motor that was close to the same size motor in the MiniZ servo.  Soldered the three wires from the board on to the pot in the MiniZ and connected the motor.

Currently I have the stock motor in the car.  The store on this site seems to be out of the HFAY motors but I plan to get them when I find some one that has them for sale.  Since I can’t find the specs on the ESC I had also planned to get the FET v2 mod from AtomicMods to make sure I don’t burn up the ESC.  These are just plans and could be changed to be rule compliant.  Again thanks for the consideration.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #8: August 16, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »

that's a tight fit for everything.    I don't really see any issue with it.   I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with running it in HFAY.  the reason we went with the motor as the limiting factor was because there were some many different "stock" mini-z boards out there.  they had changed the Fets to a higher capacity fet several years ago and wanted a catch all so people could use any board, but they could up grade the fets, etc.   that's really the only change that anyone had done.

even it if is really faster running on the HFAY tracks with a car that is too fast can actually hurt times, but we are shooting to keep the field as level as possible.

Only thing I could really suggest is maybe a speed comparison between a stock mini-z board running the HFAY motor, and your car with the other ESC brains in it running the HFAY motor.  The receiver really doesn't matter as it's just there to receive the signals from the radio, and the servo mod makes no real difference either.

I'll have the HFAY motors back in stock middle of next week.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:22:25 AM by briankstan » Logged

CrazyFastFord
Registered Member

View Gallery

« Reply #9: August 16, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »

Ya it doesn't leave much room to do much else.   I understand you have to have rules to keep a level playing field. 

I raced Micro RS4s a while back, which was a blast.  It was pretty much open to whatever you wanted to run.  It was the same way.  The guy with the biggest motor didn't win unless he tuned the radio down to slow it to a manageable rate.

I guess I can try to find one of those MiniZ speed checkers.  Anyone have one of those they can part with?  Interesting to see the results.

Put me down for four motors.  I was hoping to pick up some other parts as well but the store seems to be out of most stuff.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #10: August 17, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »

I have a lot of items that aren't listed in the store,   I can get PN and Kyosho parts as well so if there is something you need let me know and I can get you pricing.

I wouldn't worry about speed checking it,   I would go ahead and allow it to use in HFAY.

I'll let you know when the motors are here and if you need anything else let me know and I can get them if I don't already have them.

CrazyFastFord
Registered Member

View Gallery

« Reply #11: August 17, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

SWEET Thanks!!!!

I would still like to pick up that speed checker and see for my own knowledge. 

Thanks,

CrazyFastFord
Registered Member

View Gallery

« Reply #12: August 19, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »

Just ordered the Mini Z Speed Checker.  I also found a MRCG 1.1.  Should be fun.

So I should be able to test the different setups and give some reports on them.
trackstar
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Reply #13: August 20, 2012, 12:30:25 AM »

This is great. Glad you took your time to experiment. If you could also do a weight comparison. I'm curious to know. Thanks
CrazyFastFord
Registered Member

View Gallery

« Reply #14: August 25, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »

I quick update to this topic.  I have ordered and paid for a stock McLaren F1 on Ebay that should have been here a week ago.  I think the guy robbed me.  That car has a radio and if it ever shows up I will be able to test the stock Miniz against the Spektrum converted one.  I have recieved the extra MRX3100,s.  I don't have a stock Miniz Radio part of why I am doing this.  Anyway, I did get the speed checker.  The Stock Miniz runs at 15 km/h and the MRCG with a PN Racing 70T also ran at 15 km/h and if I lifted in up a little I could get 16 km/h.  Is this normal for the MiniZ?  Seemed slow to me.

When running the PN Racing motor it got too hot to touch.  Guessing I need to change to a lower ratio.  I couldn't get the gear meshing to get like I like it.  I will need to get some other pinions.

By way of comparison the Losi Micro SCT Brushless does 25 km/h and you can use the brake.  We are a lot faster running these around the track.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ