Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:13:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 2nd Club Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, New Guy :)  (Read 7578 times)
Brettweiser
« Topic Start: July 07, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »

Hi there, my name is Brett and im am new to Mini-Z's was really excited to find some ppl in SLC that get together and race. For the most part i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to RC cars. I had some TOMY Bit Char-G's a few years back, and want to get back into Mini-Rc cars. So if you guys dont mind giving me some advice on which Mini-Z i should buy? 01, 02, AWD, or even 2.4ghz? and also where is the best to buy from? I am looking mostly for a RTR to get me going. Thanks in Advance
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: July 07, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »

Welcome,   what are you looking for?   I bet I can get you going with a used AM MR-02 if you are interested.  I can hook you up with something for around $100.   but if you want a new Kit let me know and I can order what you need.

The best place to purchase from locally will be the Salt lake Mini-Z store.   I'll be adding Kyosho RTR and bodies to the store by then end of July.  For now I have lots of upgrades and tires, batteries, etc.

the store address is www.slmini-zstore.com and you can pick the parts up or have them delivered at the races.    We also offer a 5% discount to all club members.  Cool

oh,  one more thing.... We are racing this Thursday if you can make it.    I can bring a car for you to drive.  big-grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:58:09 AM by briankstan » Logged

briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #2: July 07, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

So if you guys dont mind giving me some advice on which Mini-Z i should buy? 01, 02, AWD, or even 2.4ghz? and also where is the best to buy from? I am looking mostly for a RTR to get me going. Thanks in Advance

More in-depth answer to your question...

I would go with a MR-02 either the MM or the RM setup depending on the body that you would like to run.  you can change from one to the other by changing a few things, but either are good, but the body you want to run really dictates what setup you would want to run.  if you go with a new chassis set you get both configurations, but no controller or body. 

the 2.4ghz cars are good, however they are designed for use with the LM bodies and from my experience witht them they are not as durable as the other bodies.   if you go with a 2.4LM car and want to convert to use with a MM or RM body there are a few things that need to be changed,   the Motor mount, and the damper system that come on the LM cars won't work with any of the other bodies, that aren't 102mm long.

For Just getting started I would go with the AM MR-02 chassis and pick what body you would want to run.  they are very proven and it's what almost everyone in our club is running,  we are split about half and half as far as MM to RM setups.

the AWD is nice, but can be more frustrating and alot more expensive to run and upgrade in the long run.   When setup and running right it's a great handling car.

I'd stay away from the MR-01 as parts are hard to find and it's less reliable and the servo gears are easily broken as there isn't a servo saver.

if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help you out.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:57:06 AM by briankstan » Logged

Brettweiser
« Reply #3: July 07, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »

For Just getting started I would go with the AM MR-02 chassis and pick what body you would want to run.  they are very proven and it's what almost everyone in our club is running,  we are split about half and half as far as MM to RM setups.

Okay, So is the only difference from the MM and RM in the setup of the car? Also what do each of them stand for (MM, RM) Im not to worried about which body I get, I like the Skyline 34 GTR but I guess that is a AWD body. Not big on Ferarri's either. Thanks
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #4: July 07, 2008, 12:27:33 PM »

MM stand for Mid mount,  the motor is mounted in front of the rear axel,  the wheelbase is typically 98mm

RM stands for Rear Mount,  the motor is mounted behind the rear axel,  the wheelbase is typically 94mm

there is a Skyline that will fit the MR-02 RM Setup.   here is a picture of the motul pitworks model.  there is also a Calsonic Version that is blue.

Motul Pitworks Skyline GTR
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:33:03 PM by briankstan » Logged

Brettweiser
« Reply #5: July 07, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »

Yeah that one is rad! Is that something you could get?
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #6: July 07, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »

yes,  that on is available.

Nic-z
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

See it like it buy it sell it.

« Reply #7: July 07, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »

I love the motul paint scheme, I race a 350z that has a similar scheme and it handles really well. AWD cars seem to be difficult to find one out of the box that works right, I have had five and only one worked perfectly. MR-02's would be the choice of everyone, and 2.4 if you can find a good one on ebay (one right now for 50 bucks) would be a good investment IMO.

Bring it! Team mental be loco!
Brettweiser
« Reply #8: July 07, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »

How much could I get the Skyline setup for? I wish I could make it this thursday but i have other things going on. How long would it take to get in also. Thanks
Brettweiser
« Reply #9: July 07, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

I love the motul paint scheme, I race a 350z that has a similar scheme and it handles really well. AWD cars seem to be difficult to find one out of the box that works right, I have had five and only one worked perfectly. MR-02's would be the choice of everyone, and 2.4 if you can find a good one on ebay (one right now for 50 bucks) would be a good investment IMO.

I wish the AWD ones were better I'm a Subbie fan Sad . I will look at Ebay also thanks
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #10: July 07, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »

How much could I get the Skyline setup for? I wish I could make it this thursday but i have other things going on. How long would it take to get in also. Thanks

No problem on Thursday,   FYI the race after that will be on July 31st.

arrival time would really depends on if you want,  a New one or a used one? I know the body is available,  I'd have to check and see if the RTR Kit is.  you could do a chassis Set, New Body, and I'll have an AM transmitter you could have.

If your interested in a used MR-02 with a new skyine body. I could have something for you as early as today depending on what you would wanted on it...   

Brettweiser
« Reply #11: July 07, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »

arrival time would really depends on if you want,  a New one or a used one? I know the body is available,  I'd have to check and see if the RTR Kit is.  you could do a chassis Set, New Body, and I'll have an AM transmitter you could have.

If your interested in a used MR-02 with a new skyine body. I could have something for you as early as today depending on what you would wanted on it...   

I would like new if possible, if there is an RTR that is avail. then that would be ideal.
If not i wouldn't mind getting a new chassis & body, I could pay you for the transmitter also.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #12: July 07, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »

I'll find out what is available and get back with you.   Kyosho has their dealer site down for an upgrade, so finding out what they have is a bit difficult until the site is back up.  Frustrated

I'll get back with you as soon as I can find out what they have available....

Brettweiser
« Reply #13: July 07, 2008, 02:01:27 PM »

I'll find out what is available and get back with you.   Kyosho has their dealer site down for an upgrade, so finding out what they have is a bit difficult until the site is back up.  Frustrated

I'll get back with you as soon as I can find out what they have available....

Sounds great thanks a ton Smiley
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #14: July 07, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »

Just heard back from Kyosho...  the RTR kit isn't available.   We would have to do the chassis set and the body set for if this is the body you wanted to get.

there are alot of other bodies available you might look through my racers gallery and see if there is something else you like as well.  I don't have all of the, but I do have alot.  big-grin  Let me know if you see something you like and I'll check on it.

Click the picture to get to the gallery.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ