Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
May 16, 2024, 08:50:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 16th HFAY Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to start racing  (Read 4108 times)
optravisprime

View Gallery

« Topic Start: February 21, 2010, 12:32:36 AM »

Gentlemen,

I looked into your club when I was stationed in Hawaii getting ready to move back home. I was really interested in racing Mini-Zs. Life got in the way, but now that Uncle Sam is paying me to go to school and I don't have to work full time anymore, I really need a hobby so I came back to this.

You guys seem really friendly and I've seen you have an open attitude about new people coming to races. I'm looking to buy a Mini-Z with my tax return hopefully, and I just thought I would get some advice from you.

I'm assuming you guys race 1/28th scale. Well, not really assuming since it's on your banner, so I've got that taken care of. Once I choose a kit, what do you recommend for upgrades, in order of precedence in case you guys go wild and suggest I purchase $600 worth of kit? This includes car upgrades of course, but also other gear you would suggest I need.

Next, I have the strangest feeling I'm going to suck a lot. Any ideas on what I can do to practice besides doing track runs so I have something to do when I'm sitting at home and the homework's done? I've read the racing etiquette post, what else should I know? Also, which stores do you recommend in addition to the one provided by the club? I am very willing to support local business, but it would help if I could look at an online store to get an idea of what I want to pick up.

Finally, how would you describe your club? I realize this is a very general and open-ended question, and I've done that intentionally so I can get a feel for it.

I really appreciate anything you can provide. I look forward to hopefully racing with you guys some day.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: February 21, 2010, 01:58:15 AM »

it's great to hear from you.   I'll put together some things about your questions tomorrow, but I just wanted to say welcome to our club forums.  Smiley

briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #2: February 21, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

ok,  here we go.

I have two recommendations. 

1st.  If you can afford it I suggest either getting a 2.4 MR-02 or the new MR-03. they don't typically come as an RTR so you would need a Chassis kit with body and a 2.4 TX.   for the TX you can go a couple of different was,  the cheapest being the KT-18 from Kyosho.  it's about $90 new, but you can find used ones for $40+.   the other option would be to get a nice radio and the 2.4 module.  this will be more expensive however somewhere in the $250 range for the TX and module.   This will give you the best combination to start with, but is also the more expensive option.

2nd.  If your looking to spend considerably less than get a standard MR-02 with the AM board (avoid the "iSeries" at all cost, the boards are terrible.) the MR-02 has been race proven and is a fantastic car to start racing with.  you can find a RTR kit for around $160 and then all you need is batteries.

Upgrades will depend on what chassis you get, but the back setup is the same for the MR-02 and 03 as the parts are interchangeable.   I'll list the upgrades as I would get them and in order of importance to get started.

Upgrades in the order I recommend them

1. tires (PN 6 degree radials for the rear, PN 15 degree slicks for the front).
2. Bearings
3. Wheel Nuts (You'll need these as the plactic ones strip out pretty easy).
4. Disk damper (I like the PN Fiberglass one).
5. Front low down springs ( I run the PN yellow or white on the MR-02)
6. Motor Mount.  you'll have get the Damper and Motor mount at the same time if you are running the RM chassis, but recommended to get both to take full advantage of the setup of the damper.
7. Ball Diff.
8. Aluminum Knuckles (not really needed until you break the plastic ones, but it will happen eventually Smiley  )
9. T-plates.  (the stock ones is fine to start with but will break eventually)

A fully setup AM MR-02 will run about $350 with everything including the car, the 2.4 will be about $150.  you will need some rechargeable batteries, and the enegizer rechargable AAA's a a good battery to start with.

that should get you a very good start.   I have a thread on my MR-03 build that you can read through on how I built it up.

My MR-03 build

As for practicing at home,  the rcp tracks are available for purchase and are great to have for practice.  others have build a small track out of the foam playmat tiles that you can get at Walmart and other places.  I recommend the track as its the surface that we race on and the setup won't change from home to race night. but with will be better than no practice.   I also have a track at home and your welcome to come practice at my house you'll just have to let me know when and I'll try and be available.

as for the shops that sell mini-z parts,  I have a section to the right called "Member Quick Links" that lists the shop and you can link directly to them from here.

As for our club,  we are all a bunch of RC nuts big-grin  We have competitive racing but by far the most important thing is for everyone to have fun,  we are family friendly and have racer in age from 7 and up.   Most are adults but we have a few younger drivers and the skills range from very fast to beginner.    You'll fit right in somewhere and have someone to race against that is of your own skill.   As I said the most important thing is to have fun.    Also if you want to test the waters before making a purchase.  We can hook you up with a loaner car for a night and you can test it all out.   There are no fees to race with us, except for the occasional "Trophy Races" that we have a few times a year.  and then it's a cheap $5 entry per class. 

Everyone is more than willing to help you with your car setup and help you improve your driving the best we can.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to help out,  I'm sure some others will chime in here as well. 

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #3: February 22, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »

Nice post Brian, I think you covered just about everything I would have said.

I dont have much to add except welcome to the forums and hopefully you will come race with us!! It is a bit nerve racking for new people to come for the first time, but really it is fun and everyone that races is very helpful. So dont worry about sucking lol! Everyone did at first, it just takes a bit of practice and getting comfortable with the car and how to drive it.

As for the car to buy it depends on your budget. If you can afford it get the best you can. Usually you can find a good deal on Mini-Z Racer or Ebay for used cars but you never quite know what you are getting. If the budget allows I would get a brand new MR-02 or MR-03 chassis with 2.4asf board and either a new or used KO Propo EX-10 and 2.4 module or the KT-18 to start with. The best reason to get the 2.4 system right away is you wont have to deal with frequency glitches or channel conflicts with other racers while you are learning to race the thing. Its more expensive but worth it. For the body to use, its really up to preference, which you wont know until you try some. I would recomend something stable and wide to learn with like the Ferrari's or Lambo's myself, but lots of the guys like the smaller Maclaren, Lexus, or 350Z's. I would suggest reading some posts on MZR and here to decide what might be a good starting point. Maybe buy a couple used ones to try.

Anyway welcome, and definately try and make it out to race with us. Like Brian said we can get you a car to try and you can see what its all about. Oh..and keep asking questions we are happy to answer them.

Russ
optravisprime

View Gallery

« Reply #4: February 22, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I'm probably going to look into getting a cheap used car to see if I want to commit to it. I'm almost positive I will, but I would hate to throw a ton of money into something I won't ever use. After I decide I'll probably move on to a MR-03 setup. My question with that is, which bodies are compatible?
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #5: February 22, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »

The beauty of the MR-03 is it is compatible with all the bodies.  Smiley

optravisprime

View Gallery

« Reply #6: February 22, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »

That's what I read, just wanted to double check. I'm trying to snatch something cheap off of eBay. That way I should be able to make a decision by the time my tax return comes. Thanks again for all of the help guys.
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #7: February 23, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »

Found something on RCTech you might be interested in. Looks like someone is trying to buy the controller but if you could get the whole deal for $200 it would be a deal and has lots of hopups already. Maybe $150 without the controller.

Link:
Kyosho MR-02 Mini-Z w/ KT-18 2.4 Ghz - R/C Tech Forums

P.S. You will have to register with the site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ