Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
May 15, 2024, 09:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 16th HFAY Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to SLC  (Read 7106 times)
dcast777

View Gallery

« Topic Start: February 28, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »

I just moved to SLC a couple months ago from Montana and was looking to get into RC racing.  I've always been interested in it but there was no club in Montana where I lived.  I would love to come and start with you guys.  What kind of initial investment am I looking at to get started?
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: February 28, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »

it would cost about $200 to get a car and tires,   my cars fully upgraded run a little over $300.  you can find some good used cars on ebay.  if your not sure what to get hit me up with questions,  I'd be happy to answer them for you.

we race all the different classes,   Racer, Formula 1 and Overland.   

We are racing this thursday night if you are interested in coming and checking it out.   Should be a good time as always,  our typical location (warehouse) is full right now so we have been racing in my basement.  the track size is a bit limited but it's not to bad, and of course it's always fun.  Don't worry about having a car either,  I have one you can borrow.  flex

I live in West Jordan,   Let me know if you are interested and I'll hook you up with the address.

dcast777

View Gallery

« Reply #2: February 28, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »

Sounds like a plan.  My hours at work are really weird, but I think next week is slow so I should have Thursday evening off.  I live downtown but work in South Salt Lake.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #3: March 01, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »

Sounds like a plan.  My hours at work are really weird, but I think next week is slow so I should have Thursday evening off.  I live downtown but work in South Salt Lake.

Sounds good,  We typically start at 6:00pm for setup and practice,  we will start racing about 7.   Our schedule isn't set in stone but we usually run 2 races with Racer (per driver, so typically 4 races).   2 races with Formula 1 (per driver, so typically 4 races).  1 race with Overland (everyone at the same time).   Then we break down the track and run 1/24th Scale monster trucks, either freestyle or races depending on the night.   I'll email you my address ot the email on your registration.

I look forward to meeting you and discussing your involvement with our club.  We have a great bunch of guys that are more than willing to help out and give you the correct information so you don't waste your time and money on things you really don't need. There are a few of us that have been racing the Mini-Z's for going on 5 years now, and have some pretty fast guys.  Some of the others are also into larger scales trucks as well.

oh,  I forgot to mention,  Welcome to Salt Lake, and Welcome to our Forums !!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:46:06 AM by briankstan » Logged

dcast777

View Gallery

« Reply #4: March 01, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »

That's exactly what I was looking for, instead of going out and just throwing money away I like to ask people who have the experience on what I need and what I don't need.  I got to watch a couple races with the off road buggy's and trucks and thought that looked like quite a bit of fun also.  I will look forward to meeting everyone this thursday.

Dave
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #5: March 02, 2009, 08:04:10 AM »

Welcome to SLC Dave. I also look forward to meeting you this Thursday.
dcast777

View Gallery

« Reply #6: March 02, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »

Is there a website that kind of breaks down the beginner knowledge, classes, tires and such.  I've always been interested in RC but don't really know anything about it.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #7: March 02, 2009, 07:55:09 PM »

if you look here  Salt Lake Mini-Z Racing Regulations

that pretty much covers our classes that we run, and most clubs across the country run for Mini-Z.

if you want to do alot of reading there is tons of info on Mini-ZRacer.com

I'm on that forum with the same user name, but if you have any specific questions we can talk on Thursday night.

dcast777

View Gallery

« Reply #8: March 07, 2009, 07:53:28 AM »

Hey guys, I had lots of fun Thursday.  What was that website that you said I should buy my car from brian?
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #9: March 07, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »

do you want a new one or would you rather get a used one?   for new  I'd check out www.rckenon.com or shop.tinyrc.com

if you find something you want let me know and If Kyosho has it in stock I can get it for you as well, I just don't have any Complete Cars in my store yet.   For now I wouldn't get anything but the car.   I have tires and any upgrades you want in my store but you really don't need anything but tires yet.

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #10: March 07, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »

Kenon has the F1 GTR's for $169 and the Toms SC430 for $139, all are very nice and instock. Atomic Mods has the same ones and more instock and MZR has most of them too. Watch out for th "i-series" cars though, I hear they arent the same thing as the regular 02 series, lesser Fets or something. If you build one by getting parts i.e. chassis, body, radio, you could probably skip the radio part I have one you could use if you get AM and someone else might have a 2.4Ghz if you get that chassis. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.
dcast777

View Gallery

« Reply #11: March 08, 2009, 04:01:28 PM »

so which chassis should I get? i've seen MR-015 and MR-02.  Also should I get awd?  I saw a couple cars on ebay w/o a board, is it alright to get them like that and then just get a board, the one ad said the boards were about 45 bucks.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #12: March 08, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

so which chassis should I get? i've seen MR-015 and MR-02.  Also should I get awd?  I saw a couple cars on ebay w/o a board, is it alright to get them like that and then just get a board, the one ad said the boards were about 45 bucks.

I would start with the MR-02 it's by far the best racing chassis.   the AWD is nice but requires alot of work and tinkering to get ti right.  I would get one with a board.   you can probably find a used board, but I'd just recommend getting one that already has one in it. 

On second thought that might be a good deal.   Russ is upgrading to 2.4ghz so he might have a board for you for a good price.

this one would be a good start as well, but would need a body.   Item number: 360136501103

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:34:22 PM by briankstan » Logged

briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #13: March 12, 2009, 08:20:31 AM »

Dave,  any news?  did you pick up a car?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ