Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:44:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 2nd Club Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd like to buy a ready to run setup  (Read 6004 times)
guy hanson
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Topic Start: September 01, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »

I am coming out to the races next Thursday with a couple of new guys like myself.

I would like to buy a race ready setup for the Racer class, if anybody has one they would like to part with.  I have been trying to learn as much as possible on the net and it looks like the 3 version or a hopped up 2 are the ones to have (?)

If you have something, give me a buzz at 801 859 6700 or bring it to the races. This stuff really looks like a blast.  Looking forward to racing.

Guy
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: September 02, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »

I would go with the MR-02 or MR-03.   All the MR-03’s are 2.4ghz   you can get the MR-02 in both AM and 2.4ghz.   You can find some good deals on the MR-02’s.  the 03’s are pretty new so they are harder to come by used. 

were you looking for a 2.4 or an AM car?

there are also some great deals on at mini-z racer in the marketplace and tons of info in their forums. www.mini-zracer.com

if you want some specifics let me know and I can answer your questions.   

guy hanson
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Reply #2: September 02, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »

2.4 would be my preference.  I have a Spektrum 3r on the way and wouldnt mind running one transmitter for all my stuff, eventually. 
What tires are the preferred ones for Racer class on your track?

Guy
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #3: September 02, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »

The mini-z 2.4ghz is proprietary to the Mini-Z line.   The radio will need to use the Kopropo Mini-Z 2.4 module in order to work.   the JR-Z1 radio you mentioned you had works with this module,  there are also adapters for Futaba, and airtronics TX's as well.

here is the module.

I also might have a MR-02 that I'd consider selling.

I do have a 2.4 AWD that I am selling ($200)  it has all the upgrades and is ready to rock.  I'll bring it on thursday and you can test it if you like.

Tires for our track I recommend running PN 6 degree rears and 15 or 20 fronts.  I carry them both.   Reflex Racing SSG Rears also work great and I carry them as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:13:16 AM by briankstan » Logged

guy hanson
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Reply #4: September 02, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »

Cool!
I'd love to try the 4WD car and , if you have the MR02 available, it as well. Is there a class where you can run the 4WD Racer?

As far as buying stuff from your store, is it located at the raceway or do I just ask you for the things l would like to buy and you bring them from somewhere else?

Guy
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #5: September 02, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »

The store is located at SL Mini-Z Store, Mini-Z Parts and Accessories

Theres also a link at the top of this page (second on the left). You just place your order as you would on amost any site and if you want Brian to bring the stuff to the race instead of shipping it just select "local pickup".

I think buying a used one is the way to go in my opinion. But if you want to start out fresh I think the MR-03 and module for your Z-1 would be great. Both pieces are spendy but hold a good value if you decide to sell them later. I hear the MR-03 is a bit more "racable" in stock form than the MR-02 in stock form, but I'm sure it all boils down to the driver. I think Brian could beat most of us with a MR-01 on 3 batteries  laugh .

For used items I do alot of searching around and will post up good deals when I find them on the Good Deals Thread located in the General discussion forum under the Private section. Currently there are none there because I just cleaned it up, but keep checking it for deals.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #6: September 02, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »

Click the big banner at the top the says Online Store  angel   if something shows out of stock I can usually get it pretty quick as well.   It's a smaller shop so I don't have everything but I try and keep good stock for the guys that race locally.

the Awd can be run in the Sedan class.  I've set it up as a Modified car but can change the motor in it easy enough Smiley It has a bit more moving parts but it really comes down to how it's driven and is competitive with the 2wd cars.  Plus is loaded with all the upgrades.

I'll have the AWD with me on Thursday as well as my Backup MR-02 that I've been considering selling.   you can try them both out if you like.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:28:23 AM by briankstan » Logged

briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #7: September 04, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »

I won't be able to bring the AWD on Thursday.   I sold it yesterday.   I will bring my MR-02 with me for you to check out.   Not sure I want to sell it, but if it will get another racer coming to the races I'd just consider it.  See you Thursday

guy hanson
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Reply #8: September 07, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »

cool!

Thank you. I bought one on Ebay this weekend. Its and MR02 with a bunch of aftermarket stuff.  My Dad will need one as well so I will be buying another. I know Kursten Hardy is coming too and will probably want one almost immediately.

I went to a place called West Valley Hobbies to ask questions about these little cars. A couple of the guys were helpful, but one little guy with a beard and moustache (Ben I think) was really negative about the cars. Not a good way to sell stuff!
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #9: September 07, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »

Thats cool you guys are getting started. If you like racing you will enjoy it. It has all the same thrills and enjoyment of racing any scale in my opinion. But it all boils down to practice to do well. I've seen guys that are experienced racers that have never tried mini-z's pick up a transmitter and do well. And I've seen guys that just cant get the hang of it without alot of practice. Bottom line is it takes practice to get fluent with racing these and really anything.

As for West Valley Hobbies they can be kind of hit and miss for attitude. Once you get to know the guys there than can be pretty cool and helpful, but it depends on the day and the person. Dont worry about what thier opinion is on Mini-Z's. They used to sell them and race them there but they've all moved on to other scales and classes they enjoy more. Thats cool, to each his own. Most the guys there are frequent racers. Lately the big thing seems to be Rock Crawlers and Short Course Trucks. It makes sense for them to promote and race what makes the shop money. Its hard for someone to promote something they dont do so I wouldnt worry to much about what the Ford guys says about Chevy's if you know what I mean. If you want to see something fun, show up Tuesday nights (tonight) accross the street from WVH at Cafe Rio and watch them run the drift cars. It looks really fun, but its just another class of racing.

I guess my point is that different people find fun doing different things. Personally I really enjoy the Mini-Z's, but its not my only scale of RC. It is one of the funnest for me because the guys we race with are cool, and everybody is out to help everybody else have fun, rather than a big hard nosed competition. We all still try to compete the best we can, but if you arent having fun whats the point? I think you will really enjoy it if you give it a fair chance. You can spend a ton of money on Mini-Z's but you really dont have to. Practice will make you faster than any hop up you can buy. If your like me though half the fun is the wrenching on the car and hopping it up.

We look forward to you guys coming out and racing with us.
guy hanson
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

« Reply #10: September 07, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »

Yep,

Its the same in any racing. The slot cars we race right now are fine out of the box but I have to do all the crazy stuff to them just because thats in my nature. I have spent over 2000.00 in the last 4 months just on trick motors, chassis and controllers!

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #11: September 07, 2010, 11:13:31 AM »

Funny how addicting they can be.  eek
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #12: September 07, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »

Great that you guys will have some cars for Thursday.  I look forward to racing with you.   Oh if you didn't get the address I've attached it below:

Address and directions.

The address is: 582 W. 8360 S.  (its on the west side of I-15, and just north of 90th South).

MapQuest Map of Location

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]