Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:03:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday May 2nd Club Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with steering fets.  (Read 7578 times)
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Topic Start: April 26, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »

Well after taking my OL apart I can see why things arent working. All of the wires were hanging on by just a strand or two to the board. When I opened it up I got confused on which pins need to be soldered together on the steering fets. If you look at this pic you can see the mess I have to fix. The previous owner soldered a big glob onto the outputs. It seems to me that only 3 of the pins should be soldered together. So what pins need to be soldered together?

This is a pic of a racer board I found, it appears that the outputs are soldered differently than mine.

Which is correct? They appear to be the same board.
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: April 27, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

typically 3 of the 4 are soldered together.   and one pin is seperate.

looking at the board the 3 inside legs of each fet are soldered together (the 6 inside ones, 3 on each fet).   pop the lid on your F1 and you will see what I mean.

make sure the wires have good contact and you should be good to go.

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #2: April 27, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »

So should I desolder the messed up part or should I leave it and just re-attach the wires?
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #3: April 27, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »

really you can just solder the wired back on,   the reason it was off and on was because the wires were disconnecting.

if you wan't to do it righ,  I'd clean it up some.   Just don't get the fets to hot.  you can ruin them.

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #4: April 27, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »

Well what I did was desolder the mess on both fets. I actually did just the opposite of the bottom board figuring that the one middle fet on mine was correct. I made three of the pins connected on each fet. I left the inside pins of each left unsoldered. I tested it and it seemed to work just fine. I really wish I new more about the fets but I'm guessing that only three pins need to be connected so I went that way. Right or wrong I dont know, but hopefully it keeps working.
Nic-z
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

See it like it buy it sell it.

« Reply #5: April 27, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »

I've reasearched it a bit russ, and from what I gather, the factory just does three of the four, But Atomicmods do theirs and so do other shops with a big glob of solder on all four, so if the pros that get paid to do it use it with al four, and the people that make them do three I think you're good to go either way, its probably easier just to do all four I would think is why most do four.

Bring it! Team mental be loco!
Ryan
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

Bugatti Veyron, the best car in the world.

« Reply #6: April 28, 2008, 08:24:59 AM »

I looked at the steering fets on my F1 and the two middle ones were soldered together. They were not in huge globs like you have there but my F1 always works for me. Just more information. Smiley

Rubbin's racin'
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #7: April 28, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »

I should have took some pictures of the finished result. It turned out nice. It looks clean and the wires are secure. Hopefully I wont have any more problems. The toughest part was getting the board put back into the chassis and the top plate to cover it. Especially since the rear shock tower is glued onto the chassis and not removeable. What a pain!! I'm still not sure I got all the wires routed good enough to not pinch in there somewhere. Anyway it seems to be working now and should be ready to go for next time. Thanks guys!!
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #8: April 28, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »

all 4 of the output legs can be soldered together without hurting a thing.

good to hear,   it's wasn't much fun being the only one to finishe the last race... Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ