Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday March 28th HFAY Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suspension  (Read 4685 times)
Ryan
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

Bugatti Veyron, the best car in the world.

« Topic Start: March 10, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »

When I first got my mini-z I put the smallest spring limiter on the front suspension, I thought it would be best because it would be more travel. When I got the alloy front knuckles the springs seemed kind of compressed at normal with the limiter. So I tried the spring all by itself on the knuckle and the spring had no compression at normal. Which I thought was natural. but now I learned it does not really need that much travel.(because of rear dps damper) I'm also starting to think that it wasn't so much my soft suspension that helped me to tip over it was that I was getting too much travel on the front suspension.
What spring limiter does everyone else run? Is the alloy knuckle supposed to have a limiter or not? Is it true that the spring limiter would help me to not tip over? And last, would the extra compression hurt the spring when just sitting around? This is all so confusing. I would appreciate it if you could help me, Thanks.

Rubbin's racin'
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: March 11, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »

Ryan, 

I'm using Aluminium knuckles,  I have the hard springs and the shortest limiter on my car.   you should invert the limiter so it rides on the top of the spring and the spring rest against the top of the knuckle. This decreases the friction that is on the knuckle allowing it to travel easier.

My front springs are the Atomic Orange front springs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:41:34 AM by Nic-z » Logged

Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #2: March 11, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »

The Suspension limiter also provides a stopping point for the up travel of the front wheels. If they are allowed to go too high the chassis could bottom out on the track. Also on some bodies the tire can travel high enough into the wheel well that it rubs the body and stops. This could cause you to throw a tire. Either case would be worse than bottoming out the suspension, as you would lose control, speed and possibly cause damage to the car.

With that said I still run the shortest limiters. I can't recall what springs I have but I'm sure they are the softest ones I have. It would be fun to experiment with all the sizes just to see if there is a change with each size.

The springs being compressed a bit shouldnt change the spring rate as the rate is linear.

Excessive travel on the suspension would cause more body roll and could shift the weight enough to roll over. That coupled with good traction and the laws of physics take over. Just look at the Overlands.

For long term storage of anything that sits on springs and soft tires its probably a good idea to put it on a stand. I do on all my bigger RC cars, but never really bothered with the small ones.
Nic-z
SLC Club Members

View Gallery

See it like it buy it sell it.

« Reply #3: March 11, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »

I know were talkin F1 suspension here, but you mentioned OL, and I just got my suspension for my OL, what springs should I use on the GPMs the hardest ones?

Bring it! Team mental be loco!
Russ
Global Moderator

View Gallery

Man I'm a SPAZ!!

« Reply #4: March 12, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »

I know were talkin F1 suspension here, but you mentioned OL, and I just got my suspension for my OL, what springs should I use on the GPMs the hardest ones?

Actually were talkin MR-02 front suspension  Wink. But for the OL I used the softest springs. I put a tiny bit of pre-load on the rear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ