Salt Lake Mini-Z Club Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:35:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our next race will be Thursday March 28th HFAY Races .  Come Join Us!!
If you have any questions about racing with us,  please make a post or add a comment in the shout box, and someone will help you with the answer.

Home Help Login Register   **
Donations
Donate Via Paypal and Help Support this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intention of drivers position on HFAY track layouts?  (Read 11528 times)
jevs

View Gallery

« Topic Start: February 01, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »

The HFAY layouts seem to all have the start lines where I would think is furthest away from the drivers? Is this correct? I am fitting this in an area that does not allow standing on both sides very well, so I am wondering the best way to set this up.

See pic. (1) or (2) the intention of the layouts? It makes sense to me that the bottom of the pic is where you would normally stand, but maybe people just do it more random? I just don't want to set it up then find out it would have been better with the starting line in the front next to where you stand.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:20:31 PM by jevs » Logged
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #1: February 02, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »

in our situation we have limited space and we stand where ever we can fit,   I usually stand on the end of the corner 1 turn.   you can really setup the track and stand where ever feels right for your.

if we had a bigger space I would stand along 1 of the long sides to maximize the view as you labeled as (1) and (2)

jevs

View Gallery

« Reply #2: February 02, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »

Thanks. I actually did start setting it up like you said with the drivers in position 1 close to the start line. I just figured I should ask for some opinions because this "feels" opposite of what the layout drawing would make me think was intended.

Not related to this particular layout, do you think it is best to generally have the long straight on the back side of the track or in the front closest to the drivers? The layouts seem to mostly have the long straights and starts on the top of the picture which makes it "feel " like the intention would be to have the long straights and start line on the far side. I know the orientation of the layout is probably just that way because that is how someone drew it and did not even think about this. There may not be any intention to the orientation except the person drawing them just starts with the start line at the top Smiley

I am just trying to get a feel for the best way to layout future tracks without any experience yet driving them. It seems like it might be better to have the twisties up front closer to the driver to view the harder driving and the longest straight on the back? I only competitively raised 1/8th scale nitro buggy a few times and they had their long straight on the back side farthest away from the drivers stand. This makes sense. Is this what most people do when building a track?

Also, I a did not get a response to my other question, but I am putting the rough side up. Hope I don't have to flip it to the smooth side....
briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #3: February 02, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »

you did have a response to the other question.   it's the rough side.

I drew up the tracks and didn't really determine where the drivers would stand.  the basic consideration would be that the drivers would stand along the long side of the track,  either along the long straight or opposite of the straight.   this is more of a preference as some would like the straight along the back as it's not as technical to be able to see the a car going straight vs when it's in the infield.  On a larger track that would be more crucial but on these smaller tracks it really doesn't make much of a difference.

we have guys that prefer to stand on on end or the other.    We we attend larger races we stand where we are told.  Smiley  Woot

jevs

View Gallery

« Reply #4: February 02, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »

Sounds good. I do see your response now. Thank you. I guess it just emails you one notification until you log back in.

I am sure we will get a better feel for what we like once we actually try it some. Hopefully by the weekend we will be up and running with the lap timer installed.

briankstan
SLMZ / HFAY Director
Administrator

View Gallery

Speed is Life!!

« Reply #5: February 02, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »

great,   Have fun with it and ask any other questions either here or on Mini-zracer.com   I'm usually visit both daily. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Random Photo
Recent
[January 31, 2022, 07:34:33 AM]

[February 11, 2020, 09:45:58 AM]

by Russ
[January 22, 2020, 12:33:31 PM]

by Chad
[December 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM]

by Russ